Sea urchin, or uni, is a delicacy that can elevate any dinner party with its rich and creamy texture, briny flavor, and stunning appearance. Whether you opt for a classic sea urchin ceviche or want to try simple sea urchin toast with avocado, here are some of the best sea urchins recipes for your next dinner party.
On this page
4 Delicious Recipes For Sea Urchin For Your Dinner Party
1. Sea Urchin Linguine Recipe
Sea urchin linguine is a delicious pasta dish showcasing fresh sea urchin’s delicate and brine flavor. Here is a basic sea urchin recipe.
- 8 oz linguine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2-3 uni sea urchin
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook the linguine according to package instructions. In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes. Sauté it for 1-2 minutes until the garlic is fragrant, but be careful not to brown it.
- Pour in the white wine and let it simmer for another 2 minutes, allowing the alcohol to evaporate.
- Add the sea urchin roe to the pan, breaking it up gently with a spatula. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes until the sea urchin is incorporated into the sauce.
- Season the sauce with salt and black pepper to taste. If it gets too thick, you can add a bit of the reserved pasta water to reach your desired consistency.
- Toss in the cooked linguine, ensuring it’s well coated with the sea urchin sauce.
- Serve the sea urchin linguine in bowls, garnished with chopped parsley and, if you like, a sprinkle of grated Parmesan cheese.
2. Uni and Scallop Ceviche
- 1/2 pound fresh sea scallops, thinly sliced
- 2-3 sea urchin roe
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 3 limes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Tortilla chips or plantain chips for serving
- Slice the fresh scallops thinly and place them in a bowl. Clean and chop the uni tongues, adding them to the bowl with the scallops.
- Finely dice the red onion, dice the red bell pepper, and finely chop the jalapeño. Add them to the bowl with the seafood.
- Chop the fresh cilantro and add it to the mixture for a burst of freshness.
- Squeeze the juice of limes and lemon over the seafood and vegetable mixture. Mix well.
- Season the ceviche with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the mixture and gently toss everything together.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld and the seafood to marinate in the citrus juices.
- Once chilled, give the ceviche a final stir and taste for seasoning. Serve in small bowls or martini glasses, garnished with additional cilantro if desired. Accompany with tortilla chips or plantain chips for a delightful crunch.
3. Uni Sushi Rolls
Sea urchin is a delicacy with a creamy texture and a sweet and briny flavor. It can be eaten raw or cooked and often paired with other fresh seafood or vegetables. Here is a basic sea urchin appetizer.
- Nori (seaweed) sheets
- Sushi rice
- Fresh uni (sea urchin)
- Soy sauce
- Pickled ginger
- Cook sushi rice according to the package instructions. Let it cool to room temperature.
- Shiny side down, Place a sheet of nori delicately upon a bamboo sushi rolling mat.
- Wet your hands to prevent the rice from sticking, and spread thin sushi rice evenly over the nori, leaving a small border at the top.
- Place fresh uni on the rice. You can spread it out evenly or place a strip along the center, depending on your preference.
- Roll the sushi tightly from the bottom using the bamboo mat as a guide. Seal the edge with a bit of water.
- Wet a sharp knife to prevent sticking, and slice the roll into bite-sized pieces.
- Serve the uni sushi rolls with soy sauce, wasabi, and pickled ginger on the side.
4. Uni Toast with Avocado
Uni toast with avocado is a delicious and easy way to enjoy the creamy and rich flavor of sea urchin (uni) and avocado. Here is a simple recipe that you can try at home:
- Sliced bread
- Fresh uni (sea urchin)
- Ripe avocado
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Red pepper flakes or chives for garnish (Optional)
- Toast the slices of bread to your liking.
- While the bread is toasting, scoop out the flesh of the ripe avocado into a bowl. Mash it with a fork and season with lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Once the bread is toasted, spread the mashed avocado generously on each slice.
- Carefully place fresh uni on top of the avocado. You can either spread it out evenly or place a few pieces strategically.
- If you like a bit of heat, sprinkle red pepper flakes on top or garnish with chopped chives for added flavor.
- Serve immediately and savor the luxurious combination of creamy avocado and the unique taste of fresh uni.
Sea urchin is very flavorful and leaves your guests craving more. Whether you opt for the simplicity of uni toast or the indulgence of sea urchin linguine, these sea urchin dishes promise a taste of the ocean’s finest. Elevate your next dinner party with the unique and exquisite flavors of sea urchins, and each bite is a celebration of culinary creativity and coastal elegance. Your guests are sure to leave with a newfound appreciation for the extraordinary delicacy that is the sea urchin.